Commons Farm, as it was originally known, was purchased by the Gillett family in 1916.
The original name for the 150-acre farm was inspired by the sandy, heathland type soil which characterises most of the surrounding arable land.
In 1966 an irrigation system was installed to support the increased importance of root and vegetable crops.
As with many smaller farms, a contractor has been used to manage the arable land for the last twenty years or so and in 2022 the existing contractor purchased most of this land from the Gillett family.
They have recently invested in a state-of-the-art irrigation system which allows for a wider range of crops to be grown including lettuce and salad leaves which require precise and timely irrigation.
The farmyard and buildings remain part of Croft Farm, along with the grassland which will continue to be used for sheep and horse grazing.
In 2024, the next generation of the Gillett family will take the reins, with plans to continue the farm’s diversification including a larger touring caravan site with toilet and shower facilities.
Croft Farm from the Sky
A bird’s eye view of the farm, cottages and caravan site.